One activity that we love to do every year, is to visit one of the local Pick Your Own farms and pick summer fruits. Last year we went at the beginning of August, by which time the strawberry crop was long gone. This year we tried to go a little earlier so we could pick some strawberries, delicious as raspberries are!
So at the end of June, off we went! Unfortunately, as it’s a very popular PYO farm, the strawberries were already very much diminished and only the very end of the crop was left!
However, we did manage to get half a punnet of strawberries and the raspberries were at their best (with hundreds on each bush ripe for the picking!)
So we filled our punnets and tummies with yummy summer fruits, before popping into the farm shop to pay and get some cream to enjoy with them. (Of course!)
The farm also has free range chickens wandering around which is lovely to see and a couple of beautiful llamas which the children loved. There is a small picnic area with trampolines and tractor tyres to bounce and climb on which makes it really child friendly and enjoyable.
5 Reasons we Love PYO…
1. Food education is more important than ever for children. With most of our food coming pre packaged from supermarkets it is really important for children to understand where food comes from and what it looks like in its raw and natural form.
2. Nothing tastes quite as sweet as a freshly picked summer berries. Honestly, supermarket strawberries and raspberries don’t even come close. I’m no expert but I think it’s something to do with the food’s natural sugars diminishing the longer it takes to go from field to table.
3. It’s so much cheaper than supermarket fruit. We got an absolutely enormous punnet of raspberries, filled to the brim. Based on supermarket prices I was expecting it to cost around £4-£5… In actual fact, it was £1.82!!! Shocking, I know!
4. Fruit that you have picked yourself is guaranteed to be better quality. Let’s face it, only the the fattest, juiciest fruit is going to end up in your punnet if you are picking it yourself!
5. It’s great fun! Aside from all the benefits I have mentioned above, it’s a really enjoyable experience to have with your family, away from the hustle and bustle, in a field with all that space and wonderful, fresh country air. And apart form the cost of your fruit, completely free! Hard to beat really!
Do you ever go to PYO farms?
Watch our afternoon at the farm HERE
See the rest of our Summer Bucket List HERE